Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Prejudices? Today? Yes, They Still Exist

There used to be a time when whites were friends with whites and blacks kept to themselves. That was the way of the world, and thankfully that was before my time. I am fortunate and my life has been enriched with the variety of friends and personalities that are a part of it.

I have great friends in nearly every race and I make no apologies for it. I recently made a temporary friend on Facebook who within a few days told me he thought I was being silly for helping my black friends promote their books. He kindly told me that if I was going to have black people on my page to interact with that he'd not want to be my friend and so I deleted and blocked this man.

His ideology was ridiculous. He was into marketing. He told me the only blacks on his social networks are those he's trying to sell to, but that he'd never support any kind of black owned business or purchase black products. How sad for him? I can only hope that within the next generation prejudices die out.

No comments: